Skip to Content Skip to Navigation

My Mind Check can tell us if your child has concerns with peer relationships.

Issues within friendships and peer interactions can be a normal, and sometimes challenging, part of growing up. As a caregiver, it’s important to consider the difference between supporting your child through typical, occasional peer difficulties versus more serious incidences of peer victimisation. Peer victimization is indicated by targeted and repeated behaviours including verbal or physical aggression, social isolation, and exclusion.

As a caregiver, guiding and supporting your child under these circumstances can be difficult.

It’s important to remain calm, acknowledge  and praise your child as they describe their experiences, while also assuring them of your ongoing support.  In instances where peer victimisation is school based, we encourage working collaboratively with your school on effective ways to best support your child’s needs. Our carefully selected fact sheets below provide expert advice on how to protect and support your child in different circumstances.  Resources about other areas of wellbeing (e.g., anxiety or mood) on this website may also be applicable to your child if they have shared concerns in these areas.

Candid portrait of three boys in school playground with arms around each other

Fact sheets

Learn more about peer victimisation and how you can support your child.


Resources to support caregivers of a child or young person being bullied
6-18 years

Bullying in children and pre-teens: how to help

Talking to children who are being bullied
5-11 years

Teenage bullying: how to help

Ways to support young people being bullied at school and outside school
12-15 years

Service finders

If you are seeking support for your child for concerns relating to peer victimisation, use these service finders to explore what services may be appropriate.

Head to Health

Provides resources to help your child understand and manage what they’re feeling and connect them to mental health support


Find a headspace centre for your child. Headspace centres are located throughout Australia and are staffed with people who are trained and ready to help

Headspace Regional Phone Counselling Service

Provides support to students living in areas with less accessibility to mental health services by providing digital mental health support via credentialed clinicians during school hours

Find a GP (General Practitioner)

Find a GP suitable for your child’s needs, with options to search for bulk billing practices, opening hours, access needs, and location

Find a Psychologist

Find a psychologist suitable for your child’s needs, with options to search by issue and location. Your child may wish to see a GP prior to making an appointment with a psychologist, to gain a referral or Mental Health Care Plan (MHCP)

Report online harm to eSafety

eSafety can help you and your child deal with online issues such as cyberbullying and image-based abuse (sharing, or threatening to share, intimate images without the consent of the person shown), as well as guiding you through the steps for reporting this behaviour